The Royalty gets a Bodyguard.

Page 3 of 36 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19 ... 36  Next

Go down

Re: The Royalty gets a Bodyguard.

Post by The_Chick_Down_The_Hall on Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:47 am

Alice hesitated, but took the cup and set it off to side, reaching for Taryn's cup. "Don't drink anything before I've taste tested it. Assassination attempts are not limited to attempted physical assault." Poison was something she'd encountered time and again and after this morning, she wasn't ruling anything out.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Curiositykilledthewriter on Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:50 am

Taryn blinked in surprise. "Um...alright." They said, trusting their servants a little too blindly perhaps. "But if you try it and it is poisoned, won't it kill you?"

'I really don't like the idea of someone dying for me this way or at all.' They frowned, hands folding neatly in their lap, twisting together.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Chick_Down_The_Hall on Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:03 am

Alice shrugged and took a sip. "Depends on the type of poison. Some have antidotes. Some I've taken before to build up an immunity. Some might actually kill me." She swished the tea around in her mouth, rolling the flavours across her tongues, then swallowing.

Nothing tasted off, but some poisons were tasteless and some were slow acting. Still, she judged it relatively safe to drink. Alice handed the cup back to Taryn. "Nothing out of the ordinary, as far as I can determine."

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Curiositykilledthewriter on Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:10 am

Taryn nodded. "I didn't know you could build up an immunity." They said, taking the tea back from Alice, drinking some themselves. They sighed happily, always glad to have their favorite tea. They set the tea down after a moment, offering the other cup to Alice again.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Chick_Down_The_Hall on Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:22 am

Alice nodded. "Poison yourself enough times and survive, you can. Only the milder ones though. Anything strong enough and I'd likely already be dead." She took the cup, sipping at the warm tea. A faint note of surprise registered on her face, barely noticeable, at the pleasant taste. She'd never been much for tea and tasting Taryn's she focused more on whether it was going to kill them and her, not whether or not she enjoyed the flavour.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Curiositykilledthewriter on Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:29 am

Taryn nodded. They took up their own tea again, sipping it quietly for a few minutes. "I should get ready soon," They said absent mindedly, looking at the window, noticing the sun had risen higher in the sky. They bit their lip, thinking.

They weren't really in the mood to dress up incredibly nicely and meet someone at the moment, but that was hardly an option.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Chick_Down_The_Hall on Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:42 am

"You have time to finish your tea. It's early yet." Alice said. She set aside her own china cup, taking a few steps back to regain some distance. She wasn't in the habit of talking much, or at all really. It was strange for her to be speaking and drinking tea with the royal she guarded.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Curiositykilledthewriter on Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:46 am

Taryn nodded. "I know, today is just an important one I guess."they said absently. "I can't wait to meet my prince charming," they said, trying to sound happy, but unable to hide the distain in their voice. Taryn quickly gulped down some more tea, wincing a little at the hot tea, which burned their throat a little.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Chick_Down_The_Hall on Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:55 am

Alice didn't bother to contain her snort. She'd heard of Hayworth Vandike and the only thing that was noteworthy about him was his inability to grow a decent beard. "Charming is not the word I would have chosen to describe the prince." Then again, charming is not a word I would use to describe anyone. Charm is just an illusion.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Curiositykilledthewriter on Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:57 am

Taryn looked over at her. "No, not exactly, but he is my one true love." They said absently, without a grain of a smile on their face. 'God I'm gonna actually have to mean that one day.'

Taryn drank some more tea, suppressing a shudder about prince no beard.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Chick_Down_The_Hall on Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:02 am

Alice cocked an eyebrow, unimpressed. "If you want anybody to believe you mean that with any semblance of sincerity, you'll need to work on your delivery, Majesty."

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Curiositykilledthewriter on Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:05 am

Taryn frowned. "I know, trust me, but it gets old around people who know I'm lying anyway," they said, setting down the tea again. "Call my Taryn, really, it's not like you don't spend every waking second around me anyway."

Taryn's hands twisted into themselves again in their lap, which seemed to be quickly becoming a nervous habit. This had been something they always did, but never really noticed until someone was literally around all the time. Their handmaiden was only around a little, to help dress them and things of that nature, now that Alice was around.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Chick_Down_The_Hall on Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:20 am

Alice's eyes widened just the slightest bit when they told her to call them Taryn. It'd been a very long time since she was that familiar with anybody besides her mother- and she hasn't spoken with her mother in seven years. There had been someone, once, she'd been horribly naive to trust.

But she looked at Taryn, considered them carefully, and decided that they were a relatively low level threat. And Alice was a professional. Using their first name would not change that about her.

"As you wish." She said. "Taryn."

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Curiositykilledthewriter on Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:24 am

Taryn nodded, smiling a little. The little pause between Taryn's words and Alice's had made them nervous, they really couldn't tell where exactly they stood with Alice. But they were figuring it was just that awkward boss type person and employee for lack of better words.

Taryn got up, pulling open the wardrobe, poking around to see if there was anything in this secondary closet they could wear. If not then they would have to go back to their other one, and they weren't really ready to go back into the other room.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Chick_Down_The_Hall on Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:29 am

Alice shifted towards the door once Taryn moved towards the wardrobe. "I'll wait outside while you prepare for your meeting. Should I send for a maid to assist you?"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Curiositykilledthewriter on Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:33 am

Taryn looked over. "Oh um, sure, thank you,"they said, surprised at their wish for Alice to stay, but did not say anything. They continued to poke through absently, really not in the mood for a huge dress and huge heels and huge hair.They knew this was just how things were to be done, and what was best. 'Best for whom?'

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Chick_Down_The_Hall on Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:44 am

Alice slipped out as quietly as she'd come in, shutting the door and plucking one of the maids bustling down the hallway to go in and help Taryn dress.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Curiositykilledthewriter on Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:48 am

Taryn watched her go and once the maid came in went back to getting ready, which as usual took a while. There was always a lot that went into making them look nice, and exactly the way a princess should look. It was boring and a tiny bit painful depending on how knotted their hair was. They let the maid help them in a lot of ways, which was mostly lacing up the backs of dresses, doing hair, ect. They really found the whole process boring today, although most days, when they had enough sleep, it was really quite fun. Especially before balls. Whether they admitted it to anyone else or not, they were fun.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Chick_Down_The_Hall on Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:36 pm

Alice waited outside the door of Taryn's bedchambers, tossing her knife into the air and catching it between her fingers. Up. Down. Up. Down. Up. Down. It was always slow going, getting them ready for court. Alice imagined it was because there was so much pageantry with the gentry.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Curiositykilledthewriter on Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:03 pm

Taryn continued to get ready for at least another two hours. They finally were able to step into their heels and leave the room. They were wearing a deep green dress, that was splattered with expensive jewels, and a silver crown with emerald jewels in. ((Sorry that's not overly descriptive, describing pretty dresses is not my thing. Let me see if I can get a picture, if so Ill message it separately).

They looked over at Alice when they left the room, dismissing the maid. "So...too much?" they asked, giggling a little, even though they actually felt quite pretty.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Chick_Down_The_Hall on Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:08 pm

Alice glanced at Taryn, gave an approving nod. "It's a good colour paired with your skin. You look every inch the royal heir, Your Majesty." Truth be told, they looked quite beautiful, but Alice was rather sure that was an inappropriate line of thinking, especially given her position in relation to them. So she kept her tone just shy of admiring, her expression carefully neutral.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Curiositykilledthewriter on Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:15 pm

Taryn smiled and nodded, heading down the hall. While they had been wearing heels since they were about 12, but they still always made them nervous. They always worried they were going to trip and fall. They continued down the hall, hands clasped together, and head held high, trying desperately to swallow their own nerves.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Chick_Down_The_Hall on Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:27 pm

Alice followed behind them, knife stashed back in her boot. She hated the courts; too much noise, too many people milling around. It made her job more difficult and nearly impossible to keep track of who was simply passing by Taryn and who was actively encroaching on their space. Alice had long since decided to treat each and every power grubbing cockroach as a potential threat.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Curiositykilledthewriter on Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:41 pm

Taryn finally made it into court, greeting people, and forcing the smile and excitement, reserved excitement, on their face. They finally approached their mother and father, both who sat upon thrones above the court. Both were dressed even more extravagantly than their child. With a curtsey they greeted their parents.

"My daughter," said the queen, causing the whole room to be silent, her strong smile flooding the room. "Today is a special day for not only our family, but our kingdom."

Taryn nodded, trying very hard not to roll their eyes and flinch externally.

The king smiled down at his daughter, although looked past them onto the crowd. "People of the court, I introduce you to your future king and my daughter's ((cue flinch from Taryn here)) future husband."

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Chick_Down_The_Hall on Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:52 pm

A fairly tall young man with blonde curls, blue eyes, and a patchy beard of failure and disappointment stepped forward, smiling with dimples and not a drop of sincerity to him.  Alice frowned, pursing her lips and eyeing Hayworth Vandike suspiciously, even as  he bowed before the king and queen and turned to face the crowd.  "I look forward to marrying the princess and will do my best to be a fair and just king to you all when my time comes."

Alice just barely held in her snort, rolling her eyes while the nobles cheered.  Dance puppet, dance.  You're as tedious as all the other grubby, mewling infants in this castle.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 36 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19 ... 36  Next